Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Positivity

Be Forwarned: this post has very little to do about wine or restaurants.

I want to bring up something that I have noticed lately, that has probably been going on for a long time.

Why is it that people, as a whole, are getting less and less positive? Seriously. I'm generally a pretty happy-go-lucky, smiley type of guy. However, if I tell someone that I'm having a great day, the reaction is usually a suspicious look. I know we can all blame the economy, or the weather, or Obama, or GW, or Satan, or God, or whomever, but I personally think that being happy and positive is a choice.

When was the last time you were honestly happy that a co-worker got a promotion that they worked hard for, and deserved?

When was the last time that someone lost weight, got into shape, and you were glad that they made a healthy lifestyle choice, instead of being jealous?

When were you last happy for someone who won an award that they honestly should win?

Heck, even for you reality TV watchers- when was the last time you were excited about the person winning whatever show it is that consumes you?

I wonder (out loud, evidently) if the trend that our culture is taking towards chatting/facebooking/tweeting/emailing all of our emotions has left us a bit cold and uncaring and as a consequence we have gotten bitter.

I challenge you- take somebody that you don't know very well out for a cup of coffee or a beer this week. Ask them about themselves, and listen to their response. Don't think about how your experiences match up or beat theirs, just learn about another human, face-to-face. Or, how about this- write someone a letter. Seriously, there are these things called pens. Go get one, and get another thing called stationary. Then just send someone a handwritten note, letting them know that you are thinking about them. Not an email. Not a text. Not a tweet. Not a DM.

Will you do one of those? If you do, please let me know how it goes. I really think it might put that thing called a smile back on your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment