Friday, February 5, 2010

Wine Recap- 2006 HdV Syrah

Last night, a buddy of mine came over to help me tear up my basement. I'm in the process of semi-finishing it, in an attempt to have a wine tasting area, a workout area, and a "man cave". While demolishing some old, cruddy cabinets, we needed something to sip on. I wanted something bold, but not jammy. My friend is a cab drinker, but willing to learn about other varietals. I decided on a 2006 HdV Carneros Syrah.

HdV is a joint project between Larry Hyde (owner of the Hyde vineyard in Carneros), and Aubert DeVillaine (one of the owners of Domaine de la Romanee Conti in Burgundy). The Carneros Syrah that we tried was flat out delicious. It had the Syrah fruit and was clearly New World, but the earthiness and secondary tobacco notes came from a style that was much more French. There wasn't any of the bubble-gummy notes, or the rocket fuel alcohol that I sometimes get out of California Syrah. This was a well made wine, and was perfect for causing destruction.

Pick up a bottle, if you can find it, and check it out.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Could not have described the wine better myself....

    Cheers,

    AJ Fairbanks (HdV Wines General Manager)

    ReplyDelete