Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Years come and go- at a seemingly increasing rate, as it turns out. It also seems as if people's New Year's Resolutions do the same. It's interesting that most people almost set themselves up for failure from the beginning instead of coming up with something that they can really stick to. Last year, I had the goals of

1) not drinking regular soda for a year- which I did, except for one drink of a coke at a wedding that I thought was diet

2) Learn how to cook French food better- which I did

3) Get my CSW and my Certified Sommelier status- which I did

4) Going to Farmer's Markets more- Which I kind of did, at least I went a couple of times

5) Eat at a locally owned restaurant once a week- which I did, whether it was in STL or somewhere else.

This year, I'm a lot less specific about my food and wine related goals. Quite simply, I want to eat and drink less, and the stuff that I do consume I want it to be better quality.

This holds true when it comes to wine. This year, I want to have a purpose behind having a glass, or opening a bottle of wine. I want to have fewer instances where I have a glass "just because", and more where I'm paying attention to what I'm doing. This is not to say that I want to be overly critical about everything that I try- that goes completely against the points I try to make on this blog. Instead, I just want to be intentional about what I drink. This is about my waistline and my checking account more than anything else.

What about you? Do you have any food or wine related goals for 2010?

If I might recommend, go find a bottle of 2006 Peter Michael "Les Pavots" Cabernet. It will be pricey. Like, special occasion, "I can't believe I just spent that", pricey. However this wine is the epitome of what "silkyness" portrays in a wine. It has a beautiful balance of fruit, tannin, and oak, and will only get better with age.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment