Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Worlds Collide

Last night was one of those times when my worlds came crashing together- fortunately with great success. Most of you know that I often help out with Entre Underground- an underground, secret, moving restaurant located here in STL. I have done the wine pairings for these guys for around a year now, and sometimes act as their sommelier at events. Fewer of you know that my wife and I are members of the Journey, a church located on Kingshiway across from Tower Grove park. Through the Journey, we have had the opportunity to work with an organization called Mission St. Louis.

Check them out here- www.missionstl.org

This is a wonderful group of people that do community development through education, empowerment, and good ol' hard work in some of the lower-income areas around town.

Last night, the guys from Entre did a benefit dinner for Mission St Louis at an undisclosed location.

This is where it got a little strange for me. I'm one of those people that looks at the people in my life and unwittingly compartmentalizes them. I have my "church" friends, my "work" friends, my "wine" friends, and my (for lack of a better term) "foodie" friends. Very seldomly do these groups meet. I actually wish they would more often- Surprisingly enough, when they have, it usually went okay. The foodie friends realize that the church friends will have a glass of wine and a plate of good food with them, and not preach to them or make them weak khaki. The church friends realize that the wine friends won't set anyone on fire, or give an expletive-laden speach about how God is just an idea while drinking cabernet out of a goat skull in the moonlight. Naked. (Actually, that one might happen.)

Last night it went rather smoothly- wine and great food was shared, people laughed, and I think that most of the people had a good time. It was just strange explaining the oak treatment of a wine from Priorat to the dude that I sometimes serve communion with. Maybe he'll buy my wine for it.

Have a great week- reports coming soon about some meals to be had in Kansas City.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment