Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm confused.

So you may notice that, even though I eat out a lot, I don't put a whole lot of restaurant reviews on here. The reasons for this are multi-fold: First of all, I don't know how to write well about food. I trust other local food blogs and critics to wax poetic about how good or bad a place is. I also sell wine to a lot of restaurants. If I gave my honest opinion about some of the places I sell to and the owner found out, I would likely be selling them much less wine! Finally, this is a wine-based blog, so that is where I want to put a lot of focus. If you ever want an honest opinion about a restaurant, just email me.
Once in a while I come across a place that I don't do business with that just prompts me to write about it. Such is the case when I went to lunch at Molly's in Soulard. This is the new project that Eric Brenner of Moxi semi-fame consulted on, that expanded into the space where the old Norton's was. I first walked into the bar on the right hand side of the building, where the "open" sign was blazing. This was at about noon, and the guy setting up the bar looked really perplexed when I walked in. I asked him if I could get lunch, and he just mumbled "no- you have to go to the other side." Nice customer relation skills. I walked through a really nice little courtyard, and right into a 1890's style parlor. The dining room was really nice, plush, and comfortable. This is where the confusion started. The bartender and waitress were dressed in t-shirts, jeans, and ballcaps. Not exactly what I was expecting, but whatever. I sat at the bar, ordered a beer, and looked at the menu. The bartender launched into a pre-rehearsed specials spiel, of which I understood about 40%, as she was talking so fast. I ordered a cup of gumbo and a shrimp po-boy. To say the service wasn't professional is an understatement. The waitress and bartender were snipping at each other, and at the cook, the entire time- in full earshot of the 6 other people eating there besides me. The food was okay, and that's it. The gumbo was underseasoned, and served lukewarm. The shrimp po-boy had a wierd consistency to the bread, not the crunchy stuff I have been served in a hundred better spots on their versions of the Cajun delight. The shrimp was cooked fine, but unremarkable. My beer was done half way through the gumbo, and the bartender never bothered to ask me if I want another. When I asked for my check, the same bartender slid the check holder all the way down the bar, hitting me in the arm, then laughed about it. Are you kidding me? The tab was $23, which seems a lot for a cup of gumbo, a beer, and a sandwich. I paid and left confused.
I'm just wondering why they would have sub-par service and food in such a great looking spot.

Speaking of wine, check out the Plungerhead Zinfandel. It has a cheesy label, and the name leaves something to be desired, but the wine is legit. Most any retailer in the area can get it for you, and it should be less than $20. Enjoy.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I cannot write about the food I eat at restaurants. If I tried it would end up sounding like "The steak was really good. The potatoes were yummy." Riveting stuff.

    Anyway, I think its safe to say that when dining in Soulard for lunch, you never know what you will get. That's not necessarily meant to be a bad thing, its just that lots of places in Soulard have that way laid back Soulard neighborhood mentality.

    ReplyDelete