Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Edition

I don't get it. Why do people go so freaking nuts over Halloween? I doubt if a large majority of the people wearing costumes and drinking/eating themselves into a diabetic coma have even researched the origins of Halloween. I typed "Origins of Halloween" into Google, and got back 1,670,000 results. (By the way, isn't Bing supposed to give you a more precise search? It gave me 5,880,000 results!) According to History.com, my source for all truth and knowledge (kidding), Halloween started as a Celtic celebration marking the new year, and also the oncoming harvest and cold season. They thought that the lines between the living and the dead got a bit blurred on the night before their new year (which started on Nov. 1), and that ghosts would be running around. They would throw a big party, and dress themselves up in animal costumes. People who were freaked out by the thought of either dead grandma or Casper walking down their street would dress up like ghosts themselves, so as to blend in- kind of like when the living people acted like zombies in Shaun of the Dead. They would also put bowls of food and wine on their doorsteps to appease the mischievious ghouls. Later, the Pope declared November 1st as All Saints Day, and October 31 as "All Halloweds Eve", as an attempt to put a Christian spin on the celtic party. This later morphed into "Halloween".
Okay, I get that part, assuming it's somewhat accurate. How did we get from that to a holiday where many women think its great to dress like skanks, and kids gorge themselves on Pixie Sticks? Maybe I'm just bitter that I wasn't allowed to Trick-or-Treat when I was a kid, or maybe it's just that there's too many tempting bowls of candy and cupcakes to derail my current weight loss plans. It's not that I don't like Halloween. I just really don't care about it. My wife likes it, which is fine. When we have kids, will they go Trick-or-Treating? Sure, if they want to. Which brings up another point- after about 6th grade is too old. Middle schoolers and older should be able to buy their own candy.
If I sound grumpy, I'm not. Just confused.

Have a great day. Drink an Oktoberfest beer, and enjoy the weekend.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment