Friday, November 6, 2009

Fort Hood, Redneck Moments, carnivorale

First and foremost, I want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those hurt and killed at Fort Hood yesterday. It was a senseless disaster.

On a lighter note, I had two simultaneous "Redneck Moments" this week, and I have been anxiously waiting for Friday to come, so I can tell about them. First of all, I was looking out the back window of my house on Monday evening. I saw that one neighbor who lives behind us was raking and blowing leaves in his back yard. He then proceeded to jump the fence, steal 4 or 5 pieces of firewood from the house next to him, put the leaves on top of them, dump gas all over it, and light the whole pile on fire. Now, I don't know if you remember, but there was about a 30 MPH wind that day. Not good.
While this was going on, my brother called me. He and his family live right across the street from our parents, and he is a veteranarian in the KC area. On sunday, our folks called him, and said that they were down the street where a deer had just been hit by a car, and he should go look at it. He jumped in his SUV, drove down there, and pulled up to see the police shooting the deer. He asked the officer "So, what are you going to do with that thing?" The officer told him that animal control was on the way, and it was their problem. My brother then talked to the animal control folks, and was allowed to take the deer home. He dressed, cleaned, and processed the deer while it was hanging from the rafters in the garage, resulting in 42 lbs of meat in their fridge. They even ate some of it that night.
Yes, my neighbor burns stolen wood with gas on a windy day, and my brother eats road kill. I definitely live in Missouri.

In honor of this, I'm recommending PBR as your drink of choice for the weekend.

Finally, check out www.makeminemeat.com
These are some friends of mine that are putting on a "one night only" restaurant this coming Monday. I know it's a bit steep, but the menu is awesome, and the wine pairings (done by yours truly) will be amazing as well. I really encourage you to go ahead and spend the money- it's going to be an epic evening.

See you there.

Cheers!

1 comment: