Monday, April 19, 2010

Good wines from the weekend

This weekend, we went over to Kansas City to celebrate our family reunion, my dad's 59th birthday, and my dad's retirement party. Whew!

First of all, I tried Bud 55. This is the new, 55 calorie, 3.2% alcohol beer that is being sold as "healthy". It pretty much tastes like most other AB products- not bad, but very watery. I suggest throwing a lime in there.

Let's get to the good stuff. Saturday night was the birthday party, and the lead-off hitter was a bottle of 2004 Trimbach Pinot Gris. What I love about this winery is that they make white wines that can age. I have had this particular wine dozens of times (I used to sell it in Boston) but this one was the best. With age, it still has the lime and slate notes, but it has picked up a really cool almond taste that is very enjoyable. Next up was a 2004 Beaurenard "Boisrenard" CdP. This wine is good, but still very young. I would suggest another at least 5 or 10 years if you have some- it doesn't have the flashiness of the '03, and the classic styling will give it some longevity. Next came 2005 Pride Merlot. Wow, I love these wines. This wine had plums, blackberries, and nutmeg all over it, and was drinking perfectly. Me likey.

For clean-up, I tried Liquor 43 from Spain. I had never tried it before, and my initial assesment is "eh". Not bad- kind of like a cross between Navan and Grand Marnier, but a bit syrupy for my taste.

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend- Congrats to my father, and I look forward to seeing what the next years will bring!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment