Thursday, April 8, 2010

Weird, delicious wine

Last night, my wife made a wonderful little grilled chicken and orzo salad with arugula and goat cheese. This was a great opportunity for me to pull out a new wine that a friend showed me that is...well, frankly pretty weird.

The wine is the 2005 Segura Viudas Creu de Lavit. You don't know what this is? That's strange, all the kids are tweeting about it. I kid.

This particular wine, from a nice Cava producer is 100% Xarel-lo from Penedes, Spain. You might remember that Xarel-lo is one of the three grapes normally used in Cava production. The funny thing about this wine is that it is still, not sparkling.

The nose hits you with a cool combination of baked apples, bread, lemon zest, and granite. It's sort of like drinking a wine that tastes like cava, but has a consistency and weight similar to viognier.

I told you it was weird. Go pick some up, and let me know what you think- it should cost you about $16 retail.

Tomorrow- it's my birthday, so I'm smoking some meat. Also, where to get the best ice cream in Kansas City.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment