Monday, April 12, 2010

One amazing weekend

This last weekend was a great one. Sorry I missed blogging on Friday, it was my birthday, and quite frankly I didn't feel like getting in front of a computer. That night, we held a party at 33 wine bar (33rd birthday at 33...get it?) and a lot of my friends showed up for the occasion. I asked that nobody would bring any presents, but would rather buy wine for everyone else to share. To say that people were being generous is a gross understatement. I have such amazing people around me- whether they are wine fans or not, they really brought out cool stuff! Monchhoff Riesling, ACV Chardonnay, Radio Coteau Zin, Sinskey Vin Gris, Moncayo Aquilon, Amon Ra Shiraz, Red Car Syrah, Sine Que Non "Labels" (yep, I have now had Sine Que Non two weeks in a row), Pride Cab Franc, Perrot Minot Clos de Beze, 77 Smith Woodhouse Port, 85 port, etc, were all bought and poured for everyone to enjoy. Between hanging out with my wife and friends, drinking great wine, eating pulled pork, and smoking a great cigar while having religion discussions, this was literally the perfect birthday. Thank you so much to everyone involved- I am a truly blessed person!

The fun didn't stop there, though. Saturday was awesome too, as the Saint Louis Wine Therapy group got together for a crawfish boil and blind tasting. Each couple was instructed to bring a riesling to try, and a "dealer's choice" red. The rieslings were amazing, however trying 12 in a row can be a bit taxing on the insides of your mouth. I hate to say it, but I liked mine the best- a 2004 Domaine Zind Humbrecht Vendage Tardive. A friend brought a 1990 one that was really cool (the name escapes me). The reds were quite funky though. We once again proved that "El Burro" Kickass Garnacha sucks. Some of the funky other ones were a syrah from Colorado (good, but overpriced), an aged Pinotage (actually pretty good- it didn't smell like Band Aids, like the other ones I have tried), and some killer 2005 CdP. That night, we went over to Farmhaus for dinner. If you haven't been there, go. Seriously. Go right now. Kevin Willmann makes some amazing dishes, including the best damn meatloaf I have ever had, really delicious scallops with mini twice baked potatoes, and a chilled roast beef with horseradish panna cotta that is to die for.

Once again, the fun didn't stop! On Sunday, we had a delightful lunch outside at Katie's Pizzeria with my wife and two buddies, then grilled burgers and played bocce last night at the house. The weather has been perfect, and to top it all off, I now have a week of vacation!

Wow- You are allowed to be jealous, because right now, I feel like I have an incredible life.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I think everybody deserves AT LEAST a birthday week, if not a birthday month. So have a great week. If you are not going I away, I suggest a stroll in the MoBot garden with your honey - a place of romance and beauty. If you want to come fishing, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete